Geneva Historical Society will offer a tour of Glenwood Cemetery starting at 6:30 p.m. July 28 — rain or shine.
The grounds were designed as a Victorian garden cemetery, planned in 1872 on 50 acres of land by H.W.S. Cleveland (1814-1900), a long-time friend of landscape architect Frederick Law Olmstead.
The grounds encompass a variety of different areas including the Swift Post Veterans Plot (formerly Soldier’s Hill); Pulteney-in-Glenwood, which contains 630 graves relocated from the Pulteney Street Cemetery when the Geneva Middle School was built in 1920; and the Thomas J. Carone Veterans Memorial Plot, with 300 graves.
Parking is available in the Houghton House parking area at Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
For details, call the museum office at 789-5151.