Applying to HWS
HWS is highly selective in the admissions process. Successful applicants will have:
- Challenged themselves with a rigorous high school curriculum
- Applied their talents to the betterment of their school and community
- Met with an HWS admissions staff member for an interview
- Demonstrated a propensity to be curious, resourceful, persistent and conscientious
Sail into the spring of your senior year confident in your future. Apply to HWS by Nov. 15 and receive a decision by Dec. 15.
Early action (EA) is a non-binding process, giving applicants the opportunity to review admission and financial aid offers from other schools. Students receive their admissions decision on Dec. 15 and have until May 1 to respond to their offer of admission. Acceptance rate is similar to that of Regular Decision.
Nearly 50% of each incoming class is accepted through the Early Decision (ED) program at HWS. If HWS has risen to the top of your list and you are committed to attending if accepted, we invite you to apply through one of our Early Decision programs. If you are accepted through Early Decision I or Early Decision II, you are required to withdraw all other pending applications and enroll at HWS.
Benefits of Applying Early Decision:
- Early Decision candidates are accepted at a much higher rate than Early Action and Regular Decision applicants.
- HWS is committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need of Early Decision applicants, including reduced loan responsibilities. This means your financial aid package will be at least as good as, and possibly better than, your aid offer as an early action or regular decision applicant. Complete the Early Estimate process to get a better sense of your cost savings.
- Early Decision I candidates receive their admissions decisions by mid-December and Early Decision II candidates receive their decisions by mid-February, so you can put the stress of the college application process behind you and enjoy the second half of your senior year.
Regular Decision (RD) is the most popular of HWS’ application plans. Students have until February to gather their materials and perfect their application. Similar to Early Action, RD is non-binding and accepted students have until May 1 to make their final decision.
To be considered for admission, please submit the following:
- Common Application or Coalition Application – there is no fee to apply
- Personal essay
- Official high school transcript and first quarter/trimester senior grades
- One counselor and one teacher recommendation
- Arts portfolio – if interested in a merit-based art scholarship
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid – if interested in need-based aid
- Early Decision Agreement – if applying ED I or ED II
Dates and Deadlines
- Common Application is available online
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online registration begins
- Common Application and all supplemental application materials due for EA and ED I candidates
- Arts portfolio due for EA and ED I applicants interested in merit-based arts scholarships
- FAFSA due for EA and ED I applicants interested in need-based aid
- Admission decision available online for EA and ED I candidates
- Financial aid award available online for admitted EA and ED I students
- Enrollment deposit deadline for ED I
- Common Application and all supplemental application materials due for ED II candidates
- Arts porfolio due for ED II applicants interested in merit-based arts scholarships
- FAFSA due for ED II applicants interested in need-based aid
- Common Application and all supplemental application materials due for RD candidates
- Arts porfolio due for RD applicants interested in merit-based arts scholarships
- FAFSA due for RD applicants interested in need-based aid
- Admission decision available online for ED II candidates
- Financial aid award available online for admitted ED II students
- Enrollment deposit deadline for ED II
- Admission decision available online for RD candidates
- Financial aid award available online for admitted RD students
- Enrollment deposit deadline for EA and RD