JANET SEELEY PERFORMING ARTS SCHOLARSHIP FOR DANCE
The Janet Seeley Performing Arts Scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate refined understanding of dance based on a recorded video audition and portfolio. The HWS Dance faculty will evaluate each candidate and scholarships will be awarded based on their recommendations. Awards range from $3,000 to $20,000. *If a student receives any other merit designation the arts scholarship award will be $3,000.
- Early Decision I candidates must submit SlideRoom application with portfolio items by November 15th.
- Early Decision 2 candidates must submit SlideRoom application with portfolio items by January 15th.
- Regular decision candidates must submit SlideRoom application with portfolio items by March 1st.
Your portfolio for the Arts Scholarship in Dance includes a resume, a letter of recommendation, and an essay, in addition to your video audition.
Resume of your activities including dance training and relevant performance and/or choreographic experience.
Please submit a letter of recommendation from a private instructor or teacher in the specific art form you are applying for that can speak to your abilities. If you used a recommendation from a private instructor or teacher on your Common Application, you may also use it here.
Please submit a 500-600 word essay that describes how dance has influenced you as a person, artist, and scholar. Additionally, please address how you envision dance informing your life in college or connecting with other academic interests.
Due to the pandemic, we will not hold in-person auditions this year for the Janet Seeley Arts Scholarships in Dance. Instead, in addition to your portfolio, please submit a video or video link meeting the following criteria:
Introduction (1-2 minutes):
- Please tell us your name, where you are from and why you want to continue your dance education at Hobart and William Smith Colleges.
- What academic interests and/or potential majors and minors are you currently interested in pursuing and why?
- Indicate whether you wish to be considered for the Technique/Performance Scholarship or the Choreography Scholarship, or both. If you would like to be considered for the Scholarship in Choreography, your solo needs to be self-choreographed.
- Include the title of your dance and anything you’d like us to know about your creative process.
Solo (2-3 minutes):
- Must be a recent solo of your dancing in whatever dance style you choose. We are thinking creatively about space during the pandemic and encourage you to do the same. You do not need to record from a spacious dance studio. Please do not submit previous performance footage. We also recognize that you may have experience and skill in several dance forms. In your video, showcase your dance strengths and your passions.
PLEASE NOTE: Your application for the Janet Seeley Art Scholarship will not be reviewed until all materials are submitted. The deadlines for submission are the same as for ED, ED2 and Regular Decision. Applicants with questions are encouraged to contact Michelle Iklé (firstname.lastname@example.org). Click the “apply here” link to be directed to your arts scholarship application in SlideRoom.