Transferring to HWS
Hobart and William Smith welcome applications from qualified students who wish to transfer from two- or four-year institutions, students may be admitted at the beginning of either semester. HWS accepts a maximum of two years of college-level work (up to 16 three-credit-hour courses) from other undergraduate institutions.
Only courses in which a student has earned a C or better, or its equivalent, are considered for transfer credit. Transfer credits are used to determine placement in the curriculum and to exempt students from curriculum requirements.
Students who have completed an associate’s degree may enter with junior standing. However, depending on intended major and previous program of study, it may not be possible to complete a bachelor’s degree in two years.
Transfer students must spend a minimum of two years in residence at the Colleges.
Transfer students should use the checklist below to complete their application to HWS.
- Common Application
- Final high school transcript
- Official college transcript/transcripts from any college ever attended
- Academic Evaluation/Recommendation Letter from someone that has taught you in the past 2 years (HS Teacher, College Professor)
- Registrar report form from current college/university
- If interested in need-based Financial Aid, please submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- If interested in Merit Scholarships, we will need your high school SAT/ACT scores.
Since you have gone through the college admission process before, your questions may be different than the typical first-year applicant. We hope you will contact us so we can get to know you better and address your individual concerns. For more information on the transfer process, please contact:
Assistant Director of Admissions
Phone: (315) 781-4514
Text: (315) 828-0841
Applications due for Fall Semester admittance
Applications due for Spring Semester admittance