Hobart football rallies for win over Dickinson – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Hobart football rallies for win over Dickinson

The Hobart College football team won its season opener 28-21 over visiting Dickinson College this afternoon. The Statesmen led 14-0 at halftime, but had to rally from a 21-14 deficit with two scores in the final four minutes for the victory.

Hobart (1-0) was outgained 405-331 offensively, but got the big plays when it needed it most.

The first half belonged to the Statesmen, who marched 65 yards on 12 plays for a touchdown on their first possession. Senior running back Anthony Hobaica capped the drive with a 3-yard scoring plunge.

Senior free safety Lance Boyington spoiled the Red Devils best scoring chance of the first half, intercepting junior Ian Mitchell’s pass into the end zone early in the second quarter.

Hobart doubled its lead with its final drive of the first half, moving 53 yards in 10 plays. The scoring play, a 19-yard pass from senior quarterback Rich Doyle to junior wideout Tyler Vincent appeared headed for infamy. Three Dickinson (1-1) defenders converged on the pass, but, as the trio collided with each other, the ball found its way through the scrum to Vincent in the end zone.

Mitchell was intercepted a second time to end the first half, as first-year corner Drake Woodard corralled the 36-yard heave at time expired.

The Red Devils broke through late in the third quarter on a 1-yard run by sophomore Greg Lord. The drive covered 62 yards in 12 plays.

Early in the fourth quarter, Lord tied the game on a 2-yard run, capping an 11-play 62 yard drive. He finished with 106 yards rushing and two touchdowns.

Dickinson’s defense forced Hobart to go three and out and used its next possession to take the lead. Mitchell hit junior wideout Pat O’Connor on a short route. O’Connor used good blocking to go 20 yards to the end zone and a 21-14 lead.

The deficit jolted the Statesmen offense out of its second half slumber. Doyle found senior tight end Matt Duliba wide open up the middle for 31 yds and junior wideout Zach Schulz made a diving catch at the one to pick up 38 yards. Doyle finished the four play drive with a 1-yard keeper.

The Hobart defense also came to life, forcing the Red Devils to go three and out. On the punt attempt, junior line backer Ryan Robinson got a hand on the ball, which traveled just 12 yards to the Dickinson 47.

Six plays later, Doyle hit Schulz on a curl route for 16 yards and a touchdown. First-year Conor Callahan capped a perfect debut with his fourth successful PAT to give the Statesmen a 28-21 lead with 54 seconds left in regulation. Doyle was 20-of-30 for 234 yards and two TDs, while Schulz was his top target, collecting seven passes for 82 yards.

Mitchell moved the Red Devils down to the Hobart 25 with 9.4 seconds remaining. Senior linebacker Jeff Sanders broke up Dickinson’s first shot at the tying score, leaving less than six seconds remaining. Boyington was the hero on second down, knocking what could have by a tying score out of the hands of O’Connor as time expired.

Mitchell was 14-of-23 for 176 yards and rushed for 62 yards. O’Connor made six catches for 101 yards and a TD.

Senior linebacker Justin Hager led the Hobart defense with a game-high 11 tackles, while senior defensive tackle Ryan Aruck and Sanders each recorded 10 stops. Senior linebacker Ben Hargrave and junior defensive back Michael Maxwell both registered eight tackles to lead Dickinson.

Hobart is back in action on Sept. 20, when Statesmen visit Carnegie Mellon for a 1 p.m. kickoff. Dickinson returns home for a Friday night showdown with Franklin & Marshall. The Sept. 19 contest will kick off at 7 p.m.