Jeffrey Gerson ’85, who has more than 24 years of experience providing financial advice, appeared recently on CNBC in a financial segment looking at the slightly higher trading of Potash after announcement of a hostile bid by BHP.
In February, Gerson returned to campus to deliver a talk titled, “A Career in Private Wealth Management,” as part of the Professionals in Residence series.
Having joined Shearson Lehman Brothers, a predecessor firm to Morgan Stanley Smith Barney, in 1986, Gerson is a Senior Portfolio Management Director, a Corporate Client Group Director, a member of Morgan Stanley Smith Barney’s Director’s Council and a Fiduciary Portfolio Manager.
Gerson is the founding partner of the Gerson Guarino & Meisel Group (GGM) at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney. The GGM Group is ranked as one of the top financial advisory teams in the United States. His 11 member team oversees more than $1.5 billion in client assets.
As the senior strategic advisor for high net-worth clients, endowments, foundations and pensions, he is responsible for developing comprehensive asset allocation strategies for clients and also consults on their debt management and liquidity needs. Gerson serves on many advisory councils within Morgan Stanley Smith Barney and most recently served as co-chair of the firm’s Director’s Advisory Group. He is also a founding member of the Portfolio Management Institute (PMI). In 1998, Gerson was honored to receive the Smith Barney Harry Irvine Award for high ethics, professionalism and commitment to the firm. In addition he has received the following industry honors:
- Named “Top 100 Wealth Advisors in America for 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009” – Worth Magazine
- Named as “Top 50 Broker for 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 & 2009” – Registered Rep magazine
- Featured in Registered Rep magazine Cover Story – February 2004
- Recognized by Barron’s as “Top 100 Brokers in America” 2004, 2008
- Named to Winner Circle’s list in RJ Shook’s “Winner’s Circle IV”
- Awarded the President’s Volunteer Service Award in 2006
- Portfolio Manager of the Year – Portfolio Management Institute – 2005
Gerson graduated from Hobart College with a degree in economics. He is an active member of Autism Speaks, a trustee of the Harrison Educational Foundation, and the Save the Children Westchester Council. He resides in Purchase, N.Y., with his wife and three daughters.
The clip of his appearance is accessible on CNBC’s website.