Surge lifts Hobart over Bellarmine – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Surge lifts Hobart over Bellarmine

The Hobart lacrosse team gave the Class of 2011 a victory in its final home game of the season, defeating Bellarmine 13-10 in an ECAC contest. Entering the fourth quarter knotted at 8, the Statesmen rattled off four unanswered goals to seize control of the contest.

Junior midfielder Bobby Dattilo won a career-high 21-of-26 faceoffs, scooped up a game-high nine ground balls, and handed out two assists for Hobart (5-6, 2-2). It’s the most faceoff wins by a Statesmen since John Soden ’07 won 22 against UMass on April 16, 2005. Junior midfielder Chris Pedersen  logged a game-high four points on three goals and an assist, while junior attackman Sam Miller registered a second-half hat trick.

Senior goalie Evan Kirk made 10 saves to earn the victory.

On the other side of the ledger, junior midfielder Karsen Leung, junior midfielder Colton Clark, and first-year midfielder Cameron Gardner each produced three-point efforts.

Senior goalie Scott Bowles made eight stops for the Knights (4-9, 0-4).

Sixty-one seconds into the contest, Pedersen opened the night’s scoring off an assist from senior midfielder Tim Bigelow. Bellarmine countered with back-to-back goals, including an extra-man strike by Gardner, to take its only lead of the night.

Pedersen, off another Bigelow assist, tied the game with 6:34 left in the first quarter. Dattilo won the ensuing faceoff and fed senior long-stick midfielder Alex Caton, who fired home his fourth goal of the year just nine seconds after Pedersen’s tally.

Junior midfielder Derek Akner scored unassisted to open the second quarter and give Hobart a 4-2 lead at the 11:26 mark. The Knights struck back with the final two goals of the half—Leung tied it 27 ticks before the break—sending the teams into the locker room tied 4-all.

Offense ruled the third quarter as each side netted four goals, including two for each side in the first two minutes of the half, setting the stage for the Statesmen’s late surge.

Just 45 seconds into the final frame, Miller gave Hobart the lead for good. Over the next six minutes, Kirk made two crucial saves to preserve the one-goal advantage. After the second of those stops, he started the clear that ended with sophomore defenseman Sean Regan feeding first-year midfielder Cam Stone for a 10-8 lead. Twelve seconds later, Pedersen set up first-year attackman Alex Love’s 12th goal of the year and one minute after that, Stone hit the back of the net with a back door goal set up by senior midfielder Mike White. The 12-8 lead proved to be plenty for the Statesmen.

Hobart will be back in action on Tuesday, April 19, when the Statesmen take on Syracuse in the Carrier Dome. The opening faceoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.