Hobart Soccer Shuts Out Vassar 2-0 – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Hobart Soccer Shuts Out Vassar 2-0

Senior Tony Yeboah scored both goals in the match to lead the Hobart soccer team to a 2-0 win over Vassar in a Liberty League contest played on Cozzens Field today. The Statesmen earned their eighth shutout of the season.

Senior goalie Charlie Hale played all 90 minutes in goal for Hobart, and stopped the three shots that he faced. He recorded his fifth shutout this fall.

The Statesmen improved to 13-2-0 overall and are now 4-2-0 in the Liberty League. The Brewers dropped to 7-5-2 and 2-3-1 in the conference.

After coming close a few times in the opening minutes, the Statesmen got on the scoreboard 24:16 into the match. Senior Tommy Hayes sent a pass ahead to Yeboah who ran by a Brewer defender for a one-on-one situation with the Vassar keeper, Ryan Grimme. Yeboah fired a shot, and Grimme got a piece of it but he could not hold onto it, as it slid past him and across the goal line.

The duo of Yeboah and Hayes struck again in the 51st minute. The play was strikingly similar to the first goal. Hayes pushed a pass from the right side to Yeboah who was cutting down the middle of the field. Yeboah found himself in another one-on-one with the keeper and drilled a shot into the back of the net. Yeboah is now tied with Hayes to lead the Statesmen with five goals. With his two assists today, Hayes leads Hobart with 13 points and is tied to lead the team with three assists this season.

One of Vassar’s best scoring chances came with 9:51 left in the match. Dante Varotsis fired a shot at the goal from the left corner of the box, but it sailed just wide of the right post.

Grimme finished with seven saves in all 90 minutes of play for Vassar. The Statesmen out-shot the Brewers 23-10. Hobart recorded four corner kicks, and Vassar did not take any.

The Statesmen will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 22, when they travel to take on Union in a Liberty League match beginning at 2 p.m.