Statesmen Win 4-0 Over Fredonia – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Statesmen Win 4-0 Over Fredonia

Four different Statesmen scored as the Hobart College soccer team cruised to a 4-0 win over Fredonia in a non-conference game played on Cozzens Field this afternoon. The Statesmen (15-2-0) picked up their fifth straight win.

Senior Tony Yeboah led the Hobart offense with a goal and an assist. Junior Will Abbott recorded two assists. The Statesmen earned their 10th shutout of the season. Senior Charlie Hale played the opening 66:33 in goal and stopped the only shot he faced. Senior Alex Witherell came in to play the final 23:27 and finished with two saves.

Yeboah started the scoring with his sixth goal of the season 18:04 into the contest. Abbott set up the play, sending a pass ahead to Yeboah who broke through the Blue Devils’ defense to fire a shot out of the keeper’s reach. Yeboah now leads the Statesmen with 14 points on six goals and two assists.

Hobart scored three second half goals to break open the game. Abbott was the playmaker again in the 59th minute. This time he pushed a pass back to junior Caetano Sanchez whose blast from the top of the box made it 2-0. It was Sanchez’s third goal this year.

In the 62nd minute, junior Alex Kittelberger dished the ball to junior Ian McGarty. McGarty drilled a shot into the back of the net from the right side of the field for his second goal of the season.  A little over four minutes later, senior Michael Mouton recorded his first goal of the season. Yeboah sent a pass from the right post to find Moulton out in front of the goal. Moulton placed a shot into the right corner of the net for the final margin.

Fredonia (11-8-0) had two scoring chances late the second half. With a little over 17 minutes left in the game, Witherell ran out of the goal to punch away a threatening crossing pass. Tyler Williams collected the ball and tried to fire at the goal that was left protected by two Statesmen defenders, but his shot went wide left. The Blue Devils had another chance close to two minutes later when Luke Tyluyki’s shot almost slid under the crossbar, but Witherell jumped and swatted the ball away.

Hobart enjoyed a 22-7 advantage in shots. Each team took two corner kicks. Bobby McGinnis played the first half in goal for Fredonia and stopped one shot. A.J. Grecco came in at the start of the second half and recorded two saves.

The Statesmen will be back in action on Saturday, Oct. 29 when they host RIT for a Liberty League match beginning at 1 p.m. Hobart has clinched a berth in the four-team Liberty League Tournament. The winner of Saturday’s match will be the No. 2 seed and will host the loser on Nov. 2.