Hobart Victorious In Overtime – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Hobart Victorious In Overtime

Sophomore midfielder Taylor Vanderbeek scored with 1:48 remaining in overtime to give the Hobart College lacrosse team a 9-8 victory over nationally ranked Colgate University on Boswell Field. Junior attackman Alex Love assisted on the game-winner and finished with a game-high four points, including his 12th career hat trick.

Junior attackman Cam Stone tied the game with his second goal of the day with 2:17 remaining in regulation, setting up OT. First-year midfielder Gavin Llewellyn earned a pair of assists. Junior goalie Peter Zonino logged 13 saves and picked up a team-high four ground balls. Senior defensemen Sean Regan and Reid Rosello were both credited with a pair of caused turnovers.  Regan raised his career total to 43, matching the Hobart career record set by Alex Caton ’11.

Colgate (#16 in the USILA poll/#15 in the Inside Lacrosse media poll) got a hat trick from sophomore attackman Ryan Walsh. Sophomore midfielder Matt Clarkson added a goal and two assists. Reigning Tewaaraton Award winner, senior attackman Peter Baum was limited to just two goals. Senior midfielder Robert Grabher was 12-of-21 on faceoffs and picked up a game-high 10 grounds balls.

Hobart (2-2) never led in regulation and trailed for most of the contest. Baum scored just 34 seconds into the game followed by a Walsh tally just 49 seconds later. At the 10:32 mark, Regan gave the Statesmen their first goal of the day, scooping up a ground ball and going coast-to-coast for his first tally of the year. Just 15 seconds ran off the clock when junior Derek Katchis stuffed home a feed from Clarkson for a 3-1 Colgate lead. Love extended his goal scoring streak to 14 games with an unassisted strike at the 8:55 mark. Walsh restored the two-goal Colgate edge at 7:11.

After a torrid scoring pace in the first half of the first quarter, things slowed down for the remainder of the half. Hobart made it a 4-3 game thanks to first-year attackman Matt Opsahl’s goal, assisted by Llewellyn, at the 6:42 mark of the second quarter, but Colgate (3-2) went into halftime with a 5-3 lead thanks to Walsh’s third strike with 4:09 left in the frame.

The third quarter saw the teams trade goals with Hobart starting and ending the flurry to get within one, 7-6, entering the fourth quarter. Junior attackman Jake McHenry scored 1:28 into the half, but just over a minute later, senior midfielder Matt Baker’s extra-man goal restored the two-goal lead for the visitors. Love buried a top shelf shot with Hobart on the clock at the 6:43 mark to make it 6-5, but Clarkson answered with 2:12 left to make it 7-5. Stone got on the board 65 seconds before the end of the third, marking the fifth time the Statesmen rallied from two goals down to halve the deficit.

With 10:47 left in regulation, Love forged the first tie of the game, putting away a point-blank shot off an assist from Llewellyn. Baum put Colgate back in front at the 8:39 mark, setting the stage for Stone and Vanderbeek. After Stone’s game-tying goal, Hobart won the faceoff and senior long-stick midfielder Ethan O’Connor fired off a quick shot that that junior Conor Murphy looked right into his crosse. At the other end of the field, Walsh got off a blistering shot from 15 yards out that Zonino made a great stop on to preserve the tie. Love took the final shot in regulation, but missed the cage.

In overtime, Grabher won the faceoff and Baum laced a shot on frame, but again, Zonino made a fantastic stop and senior defensive midfielder Ryan Korn picked up the ground ball for Hobart. After the Statesmen cleared the ball, the coaching staff called timeout. Stone got the first look at the cage, but his shot missed the mark. Hobart backed the shot up to retain possession and got the ball to Love. He tried to back his defender down from the right side of the cage and somehow caught a glimpse of a hard-charging Vanderbeek. Love’s diagonal pass toward the top left corner of the box was on the mark leaving Vanderbeek one-on-one with Murphy. He fired home a hard, low shot that sent the bench streaming on the field.

The victory marked the Statesmen’s first win over a ranked opponent since 2009 (a 15-8 win over then No. 11 Georgetown on March 14) and snapped a nine-game losing streak in overtime contests. The last time Hobart recorded a win in OT was April 10, 2004, an 8-7 win over Penn State. Current Assistant Coach Chris Scanlon ’05 scored the game-winner that day, just 32 seconds into extra time.

The Statesmen will be back in action on Saturday, March 9, when they open ECAC Lacrosse League play against Michigan. The opening faceoff on Boswell Field is scheduled for 1 p.m. Colgate will play its first home game of the season on Saturday, opening Patriot League play against Holy Cross at 2 p.m.