Hobart Wins Over Michigan – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Hobart Wins Over Michigan

Five straight goals spanning the third and fourth quarters propelled the Hobart College lacrosse team to an 11-7 ECAC Lacrosse League victory over the University of Michigan at Boswell Field on Saturday, March 9. Senior defenseman Sean Regan recorded a pair of caused turnovers to take sole possession of first place on the Statesmen’s all-time list.

Regan, who entered the game tied with former record holder Alex Caton ’11 with 43, got the record on the Wolverines’ very first possession. As first-year attackman Mike Hernandez attempted a pass, Regan threw a stick check on his hands that forced the pass to sail out of bounds. Early in the second quarter, Regan dispossessed another Wolverine with a stick check and ground ball. This season, he shares the team lead in caused turnovers with junior long-stick midfielder Peter Bolte (7).

Offensively, Hobart (3-2, 1-0) was led a trio of junior attackmen. Alex Love’s five-point game, included a game-high four goals and an assist. Cam Stone added two goals and two assists while Jake McHenry chipped in a pair of goals. The Statesmen outshot the visitors 41-33 and enjoyed a 34-21 advantage on ground balls. Sophomore midfielder Gryphin Kelly was 10-of-20 at the faceoff X and collected a game-high five ground balls. Junior goalie Peter Zonino earned the win with 11 saves.

Michigan (0-6, 0-2) got three-points from first-year midfielder Kyle Jackson (2g,1a). Sophomore attackman David McCormack added a goal and an assist while Hernandez set up a pair of goals. Sophomore midfielder Kevin Wylie took all 22 faceoffs for the Wolverines, winning 11 and grabbing a team-high five ground balls. First-year goalie Gerald Logan made 13 stops, including six in the first quarter, for Michigan. The Wolverines were 3-of-9 on extra-man opportunities.

Sophomore midfielder Branden Kessler opened the scoring just over five minutes into the game. He bulled his way through a double team and buried a shot from 5 yards out. Michigan pulled even at the 6:55 mark and took the lead early in the second quarter, but Hobart countered with three straight goals to carry a 4-2 lead into halftime. Stone started the run, finishing a feed from first-year midfielder Frank Brown at the 8:54 mark. Kelly won the ensuing faceoff and fed Stone for another tally just nine seconds later. Love finished the first half scoring at the 2:20 mark, extending his scoring streak to 15 straight games.

The Wolverines carried the momentum out of halftime scoring three straight goals to retake the lead with just three minutes run off the clock. Jackson made it a one-goal game with a behind the back shot on the extra-man. Less than a minute later, Michigan pulled even and went back on the extra-man thanks to a slashing penalty against the Statesmen. Sophomore midfielder Will Meter cashed in on the man-up opportunity for a 5-4 lead with 12:04 left in the third quarter.

Hobart got back on track when Love whipped home a shot with 7:25 remaining in the third quarter. The Statesmen took the lead for good when Stone threw a pass from behind the cage to sophomore midfielder Zach Reed on the doorstep. The Statesmen led 7-5 entering the fourth quarter after senior Jake Silberlicht set up senior long-stick midfielder Ethan O’Connor’s first goal of the year.

Love and McHenry scored in succession to start the fourth quarter, giving Hobart an insurmountable 9-5 lead with 10:24 remaining. The Wolverines scored their third extra-man goal with 4:07 left to get within three, but Love and McHenry sandwiched goals around Jackson’s second strike to earn the conference victory.

The final score could have been more lopsided, but the Statesmen hit the post or crossbar seven times in the contest.

Hobart wraps up its three-game homestand on Tuesday, March 12, when the Statesmen welcome Canisius College to Boswell Field for a 7 p.m. faceoff. Michigan’s seven-game road trip continues at Fairfield on Thursday, March 14 at 7 p.m.