Statesmen Rally in Victory – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Statesmen Rally in Victory

The Hobart College soccer team scored two goals just under four minutes apart in the second half to rally for a 2-1 victory over visiting St. John Fisher in a non-league game played this afternoon on Cozzens Field. The Statesmen improve to 2-2-0, while the Cardinals are now 2-3-0.

After a scoreless first half, St. John Fisher took a 1-0 lead in the 51st minute. Danny Yancone pushed a pass ahead to find Matt Silvi, who fired a shot into the goal from the top right corner of the box. It was Silvi’s first goal this season. Soon after, it appeared the Cardinals had taken a 2-0 lead after a free kick from just outside the box deflected into the goal, however, it was disallowed as there was interference on the play.

The Statesmen then took over the momentum. In the 59th minute, first-year Charlie Kelly sent a pass up field to sophomore Jacob Fox who beat his defender for a one-on-one with the St. John Fisher keeper and blasted a shot that went off the goalie’s hands and into the back of the net. It was Fox’s first tally this season. At the 62 minute mark, junior Bernard Abagali also notched his first career goal to give Hobart a 2-1 advantage. Fox had battled down into the zone, and one of the Cardinals stole the ball away. However, Abagali smothered the Cardinal clearing attempt and instead carried the ball into the box and placed his shot into the right side of the goal.

St. John Fisher had a few chances late in the game to tie it up, but the Hobart defense held strong. The Cardinals were awarded a free kick with just over 10 minutes remaining after the Statesmen were given a card. After Silvi lofted the ball into the box, the Cardinals earned a corner kick, however they were unable to capitalize as the Statesmen quickly cleared the ball.

Junior Mike Lucas played all 90 minutes in goal for Hobart and finished with four saves. Kyle Metcalfe played the entire match for St. John Fisher and stopped six shots. The Statesmen held a 17-10 edge in total shots and the Cardinals recorded a 5-3 lead in corners.

Hobart will be back in action on Saturday, Sept. 14, when it hosts Rochester at 2 p.m. for another non-league match. St. John Fisher will host Keuka College on Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 7 p.m.