WS Lacrosse Picks up win over Clarkson – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

WS Lacrosse Picks up win over Clarkson

Three members of the William Smith lacrosse team scored three goals each as the Herons topped Clarkson 12-7 in a Liberty League game played this afternoon on Boswell Field. Sophomore Geneva Calder, sophomore Kate Byrne and first-year Alexandra Bird each produced three goals in the victory for William Smith.

The Herons improved to 2-5 overall and 2-0 in the Liberty League, while the Golden Knights fall to 3-5 overall and 0-2 in conference play.

Calder added four caused turnovers, two draws and two ground balls for William Smith. Sophomore Meg Hannan notched two assists and picked up three ground balls. Junior Rachel Hughes posted game-highs of seven caused turnovers and six ground balls. First-year Sarah Honan played all 60 minutes in goal for the Herons. She finished with three saves, three ground balls and a caused turnover.

Paige Fayette led Clarkson with two goals and an assist. Ashley Flick and Emma Oliver each produced two goals. Hanna Cleason and Meaghan McKenna each won three draws for the Golden Knights. Kara DiNatale played the opening 30 minutes in goal and made five saves. She led the team with four ground balls. Dani Tani came in for the final 30 minutes and finished with two saves.

William Smith took a 2-0 lead 6:13 into the game off goals by Bird and Byrne. Just over three minutes later, Flick scored Clarkson’s first goal of the game. Byrne struck again with 14:24 on the clock, but Flick answered for the Golden Knights with 11:12 left in first to make it 3-2. Calder took advantage of a free position and sophomore Emy Stratton followed with an unassisted tally to give the Herons a 5-2 advantage 7:16 before the break. With 4:27 on the clock, Danielle Faivus scored a woman-down goal for Clarkson to make the score 5-3 at halftime.

Calder found the back of the net for the second time off a feed from Hughes just 29 seconds into the second half and Byrne added an unassisted tally to stretch the William Smith lead to four. Clarkson put together a 3-0 run to get within one at 7-6. Oliver scored twice in the run and Fayette notched a goal and an assist. However, the Herons answered with a three goal run of their own on goals by Calder, Bird and first-year Allie Flaherty to make it 10-6 with 3:40 left in the game. With three minutes remaining, Fayette struck again for Clarkson, but Bird and sophomore Hannah Connolly scored in the last two minutes for the final.

William Smith held a 25-13 lead in shots and a 23-17 edge in ground balls. Clarkson finished with an 11-9 advantage in draws. The Herons were successful on 11-of-15 clear attempts, while the Golden Knights went 8-for-24.

William Smith will be back in action on Friday, April 4, when it travels to take on Rensselaer in another Liberty League game at 4 p.m.