Statesmen Lacrosse Defeats Mountaineers – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Statesmen Lacrosse Defeats Mountaineers

Sophomore attackman Matt Opsahl scored a career-high four goals, one in each quarter, to lead the Hobart College lacrosse team to an 8-5 Northeast Conference victory at Mount St. Mary’s University this afternoon.

The Mountaineers (0-10, 0-2) had the upper hand in shots (30-25), ground balls (35-22) and faceoffs (13-3), but the Statesmen (3-6, 2-1) got a strong defensive effort led by senior goalie Peter Zonino’s 10 saves and team-high five ground balls. Senior defenseman Peter Bolte added a game-high four caused turnovers while senior defenseman Connor Eustace added three caused turnovers.

Senior attackman Cam Stone chipped in a pair of assists for Hobart, upping his career total to 75, four behind Nate Hill’s standard for a Division I Statesmen. Sophomore midfielder Cooper Stefaniak contributed a goal and an assist.

The Mount had five different goal scorers with midfielder Clayton Wainer producing a goal and an assist. Nick Haley controlled the faceoff X, winning 13 of 16 restarts and collecting a game-high eight ground balls. Goalie Frankie McCarthy recorded seven saves in his first start of the year.

Hobart jumped out to a 2-0 lead early in the first quarter. Junior midfielder Brendan Saylor opened the scoring with an unassisted tally at 12:05. Just over two minutes later, Stefaniak scored unassisted to make it 2-0.

Wainer set up the Mountaineers’ first goal, sent home by Robert Jones at 5:14. The Statesmen closed the opening frame with back-to-back goals by junior midfielder Zach Reed and Opsahl in the final three minutes to carry a 4-1 advantage into the second quarter.

Bubba Johnson and Tommy Lyons sandwiched Mount St. Mary’s goals around a strike by Opsahl assisted by Stone to send Hobart into the break with a 5-3 lead.

Wainer opened the second half scoring less than two minutes in to make it a one-goal game. The Statesmen responded to the threat with consecutive scores to push their advantage back to three. Senior attackman Jake McHenry notched the first at 7:29 off an assist from Stefaniak. Sixty-one seconds later, Opsahl finished another feed from Stone for a 7-4 Hobart lead.

The Mountaineers’ Kyle McDonough scored with 21 seconds left in the third quarter, but Opsahl scored the only goal of the fourth quarter to clinch the three-goal victory.

Neither team had any success with the extra-man. Hobart was 0-for-2 and Mount St. Mary’s was 0-for-3.

The Statesmen return home for their next game, hosting Sacred Heart (2-6, 1-0) in an NEC showdown on Boswell Field on Saturday, April 5. The opening faceoff is scheduled for 1 p.m.