#4 Orange Stage late Comeback to top Statesmen – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

#4 Orange Stage late Comeback to top Statesmen

With 16 minutes remaining in the game on Saturday, the Hobart College lacrosse team led No. 4 Syracuse University 8-7, but the Orange outscored the Statesmen 8-1 down the stretch to leave Boswell Field with with a 15-9 victory and the Kraus-Simmons Trophy. The 100th meeting between the two schools lifts SU’s record to 9-3 while Hobart slips to 4-8.
The Orange’s starting attack accounted for 18 points on the day with junior Randy Staats recording eight on five goals and three assists. Classmate Kevin Rice added four goals and two assists and sophomore Dylan Donahue chipped in two goals and two assists. Senior midfielder Billy Ward also had two goals and two assists for SU.
Syracuse enjoyed a 15-11 advantage on faceoffs as senior Chris Daddio outdueled Hobart first-year Jake Shapiro 5-1 in the fourth quarter. Daddio had a game-high 12 ground balls while Shapiro led the Statesmen with nine.
Junior midfielders Zach Reed and Brendan Saylor paced the Hobart attack with three points apiece. Reed had two goals and an assist while Saylor dished out a career-high three assists. Junior midfielder Taylor Vanderbeek and sophomore attackman Matt Opsahl each scored twice.
Syracuse goalies senior Dominic Lamolinara (4 svs, 6 GA) and junior Bobby Wardwell (3 svs, 3 GA, W) split time in the goal. First-year Jackson Brown, starting for Hobart in place of injured senior Peter Zonino, stood tall in the cage, making 11 saves.
Vanderbeek gave Hobart the early lead, scoring less than two minutes into the game. Syracuse answered with a pair of transition goals by Rice and Staats to take its first lead.
The Statesmen got the crowd of 2,993 into a frenzy with a five-goal run that spanned the first and second quarters. Sophomore midfielder Cooper Stefaniak tied the game at the 3:44 mark of the first quarter. Vanderbeek opened the second quarter scoring, off a feed from Reed, to put Hobart back on top. Opsahl made it 4-2 with an extra-man goal assisted by Stefaniak at 9:27. Senior attackman Cam Stone followed less than a minute later, sticking a laser under the crossbar for a three-goal lead. Reed capped the run with an unassisted score at the 5:30 mark.
The Orange was able to steady itself and regain some of the momentum thanks to three straight goals from Staats to end the half, leaving Hobart a 6-5 lead at the break.
Opsahl and Stefaniak teamed up for the first goal of the second half, putting Hobart in front 7-5. Rice responded with back-to-back goals for SU, the first on the extra-man, to tie the game.
With 1:53 remaining in the third quarter, senior attackman Jake McHenry scored his team-leading 25th goal of the year to give Hobart its final lead of the day. Rice tied the game for the fourth and final time with 33 ticks left in the frame. Shapiro won the ensuing faceoff, but the Statesmen turned the ball over with about 15 seconds remaining. Staats picked up the ball and launched a falling away, 30-yard pass that found Donahue open right in front of the cage. He made the most of the unsettled situation, scoring his 27th goal of the year.
Hobart started the fourth quarter with the ball thanks to an illegal body check penalty against the Orange with 0.1 seconds left in the third. The Statesmen were unable to score on the opportunity, finishing the day 1-of-6 against SU’s man-down defense.
Back at full strength, Syracuse rattled off three straight goals in less than three minutes to build a 12-8 lead. Reed scored his 15th of the year, assisted by Saylor, to break the streak, but the Orange just started a new one, scoring the final three goals of the day.
Syracuse outshot Hobart 36-32 and held the edge in ground balls 33-25. Both teams committed 14 turnovers.
The Statesmen will close out their regular season on Saturday, April 26, when they host Saint Joseph’s at 1 p.m. The Orange will be back in action on Friday, April 25, at 5 p.m. when it faces Duke in the ACC Tournament.