Geneva, N.Y. — Hobart and William Smith Colleges unveiled its new squash facility on Saturday, October 3, with a ceremony honoring the man for whom the facility is named. The dedication of the Dr. Frank P. Smith Squash Center took place at the Bristol Field House beginning at 4 p.m.
The five brand new international size courts will bring Hobart and William Smith up to par with every other major squash playing school in the country. With the creation of the new facility, the William Smith athletics department welcomes another varsity sport to the fold, as squash will begin play this year.
Dr. Frank P. Smith, Hobart Class of 1936, never played squash as a student at the Colleges. But that didn't prevent him from emerging as probably the most important figure in the history of Hobart (and now William Smith) squash, where he has spearheaded the creation of two generations of facilities, leading to the establishment of first one, and now two, varsity programs. Smith discovered squash while in medical school, after which he entered the U.S. Army Medical Corps in 1943 and served with General George S. Patton's Third Army, commanding a medical unit. He spent the bulk of his career (1949-74) in Rochester as a prominent neurosurgeon — chief of neurological surgery at the University of Rochester Medical School and Strong Memorial Hospital — and then practiced for 18 years in California before retiring back to Rochester. His squash career is equally impressive. He won the Rochester City Championship seven times, captained the U.S. Squash Team in 1965, and won doubles squash championships in international competition in 1965 and '66. He won the senior players individual championship in Philadelphia in 1983 and in 1986-87 was a national champion in the 70-plus age group. He is an inductee of the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association Hall of Fame. In the mid-1960s Smith traveled to Geneva to help coaches build a squash program at Hobart. With his support, three squash courts were built in 1965 with a fourth court completed in 1994. Today, a new set of courts, accommodating the shift in collegiate squash to international rules, are dedicated with his support and in his name. Smith is today an honorary member of the HWS Board of Trustees and a valued supporter of all the Colleges' pursuits — not least of them, squash.
Contact: Eric Reuscher 315: 781-3538