The construction of two new residence halls on the Emerson Hill will commence in early October. These modern buildings will create a student community with Emerson and McCormick–in an environment similar to “the Hill.” The project also includes parking for first-year and upper-class students and other projects designed to improve campus and forward the HWS 2005 master plan.
The two residence halls will feature 174 beds in single and double units as well as suites and small community living groups. The halls will also provide fitness and social gathering space, game rooms, laundry facilities and living rooms on each floor as well as a café. Construction is scheduled to be completed January 2005.
Once construction is completed, renovations will be made to Comstock, JPR and Geneva Halls to reduce beds and increase social spaces in these areas.
In addition to the residences, parking for first-year and upper-class students will be open in early October, 2003. Other enhancements include:
• Brick and wrought iron fencing along Hamilton Street.
• A new landscaped entrance design on the corner of Hamilton and Pulteney Streets to help better define the campus.
• Improvements to Winn Seeley Drive for increased safety of the drive and walkways.
• Stairs from Bristol Gym and improvements to the Bristol driveway area.
• To improve safety, the exit and entrance access to Hamilton Street will be closed except to emergency and service vehicles.
Community members will notice several changes to prepare for these changes: a construction fence will be erected at the site and driving access to Emerson classrooms and McCormick will be temporarily closed.
Those with questions, please contact Buildings and Grounds at ext. 3660. A Web page will be posted soon to share photographs of the construction as it progresses.