HWS First-Years and Sophomores (ONLY) are invited to apply to represent Hobart and William Smith Colleges on a two-week, all-expenses paid tour of Japan. Technos International Week is TENTATIVELY scheduled for May 31 to June 11, 2006 (groups will depart from the U.S. on May 30.) This program is sponsored by Technos International College in Tokyo and the Tanaka Ikueikai Educational Trust.
Two Hobart and William Smith Colleges students and one HWS faculty member, will join seven other American college groups, a group from New Zealand, and a group from Oxford, England for the visit. Participants will visit classes at Technos International College and interact with its students and faculty. In addition there will be numerous other academic, cultural and social activitie as well as sight-seeing in Japan. The aims of the program are to promote international exchange and understanding on the campus of Technos International College, as well as offer groups the opportunity to experience and appreciate Japanese life and culture.
The program sponsor requests that participants be selected on the following criteria:
1. A genuine interest in Japan, its people, culture and history;
2. An excellent academic record;
3. A willingness to meet people from different racial and cultural backgrounds and experience aspects of Japanese culture, living conditions and cuisine which may be foreign;
4. No previous travel experience in Japan; no or minimal Japanese language skills
5. Citizenship of the United States of America, United Kingdom, New Zealand or a country whose citizens are not required to have a visa to enter Japan.
If you are interested in this opportunity, stop by the Office of Global Education and pick up the Technos application or email Sharon Walsh at Walsh@hws.edu to request an application. The form must be turned in by January 30, 2006 with an essay and a letter of recommendation.