All first-years and sophomores are invited to apply to represent Hobart and William Smith Colleges on a two-week, all-expenses paid tour of Japan in June.
Technos International Week will be June 1-11, with groups departing from the U.S. on May 31. This program is sponsored by Technos International College in Tokyo and the Tanaka Ikueikai Educational Trust.
Two Hobart and William Smith Colleges students and one faculty member will be chosen to participate in this tour. The Japanese hosts will provide in-country travel, all accommodations — in Tokyo and elsewhere — and many meals during the two-week stay in Japan.
HWS will cover international airfare and a small spending allowance for remaining meals. Participants will visit classes at Technos International College and interact with its students and faculty.
Numerous other academic, cultural and social activities are planned. The program is set up to promote international exchange and understanding and offer students an opportunity to experience and appreciate Japanese life and culture.
The program sponsor requests that participants be selected on the following criteria:
1. A genuine interest in Japan, its people, culture and history;
2. An excellent academic record;
3. A willingness to meet people from different racial and cultural backgrounds and experience aspects of Japanese culture, living conditions and cuisine that may be foreign;
4. No previous travel experience in Japan; minimal Japanese language skills, if any;
5. Citizenship of the United States of America, United Kingdom, New Zealand or a country whose citizens are permitted similar visa waiver conditions for short-term entry to Japan.
Those interested should stop by the Office of Global Education, on Trinity Hall third floor, and pick up the Technos application; or e-mail Sharon Walsh at firstname.lastname@example.org for one. The form must be turned in by Jan. 30, with an essay and a letter of recommendation.
For details, contact Amy Teel, program manager for the Center for Global Education at ext. 3307 or e-mail her at email@example.com.