The days grow shorter, dark comes earlier each day and the leaves have begun to turn colors and fall, but there's still plenty to fill the days this weekend here on campus and nearby.
Friday, Nov. 9
● All are invited to attend a screening of “Sophie Scholl: The Last Days,” at 5 p.m. in the library's Geneva Room sponsored by the German House. Dinner will be provided.
This 2005 film, directed by Marc Rothemund, is a dramatization of the story of Sophie Scholl and her brother, Hans, who in February 1943, walked into Munich University and distributed a suitcase full of leaflets calling the German people to rise up and resist the Nazi Regime.
Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Film, it tells the story of her unflinching courage as she dared to do what an entire nation could not.
● Sponsored by HWS Hillel, Shabbat will be celebrated beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the Abbe Center for Jewish Life, 764 S. Main St. For details, call Lorinda Weinstock at ext. 3385 or e-mail email@example.com.
● The Hobart Statesmen soccer team will play Fredonia at 7:30 p.m. in the first round of the NCAA Division III Men’s Soccer Tournament at Fauver Stadium on the campus of the University of Rochester. If they beat the Blue Devils, the Statesmen will play again at 6 p.m. Saturday, also at the U of R.
● At 7:30 p.m. in the Sanford Room, the Campus Activities Board will sponsor “The Bourne Ultimatum” as this week's Friday Flix.
Saturday, Nov. 10
● William Smith College will host the first and second rounds of the NCAA Women’s Soccer Championship this weekend on Cozzens Field. Along with the Herons, Worcester State, Union, and Elizabethtown will compete in the first round.
On Saturday, William Smith will play Worcester State at 11 a.m., followed by Union taking on Elizabethtown at 1:30 p.m. The winners will meet in the second round on Sunday at 1 p.m. General admission is $6, $3 for senior citizens and students with a valid ID, and $2 for children ages 3-12.
● At noon, the William Smith swimming and diving team will host Alfred at the pool in Bristol Gymnasium.
● At 1 p.m. the William Smith squash team will take on Colgate down at the Smith Squash Center in the Bristol Field House.
● The Hip~NotiQ's step/dance team will host its annual showcase starting at 7 p.m. in the auditorium at Geneva High School.
The show will feature singing, dancing and guest artists; shuttle buses will be provided to and from the high school, starting at 6:15 p.m. from the Medbery parking lot on Pulteney Street.
Tickets are $5 for students and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to charity.
Sunday, Nov. 11
● The Finger Lakes Society of Friends (Quakers) will meet at 9:30 a.m. in the Fisher Center, 212 Demarest. Event sponsored by the HWS Religious Life office; all are invited.
● At noon in St. John's Chapel, sponsored by the Office of Religious Life, everyone is welcome to join this new gathering of people seeking “windows” into what is going on with us at a deep level and into what is going on in the larger community and world through contemplative spiritual practices including attentiveness, compassion and hospitality.
● All are invited to St. John's Chapel at 4 p.m. to celebrate Roman Catholic Mass, sponsored by Our Lady of Peace Parish (Geneva's Roman Catholic community) and the HWS Religious Life office.
● Libertango will offer Argentine tango classes from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Hirshson Ballroom. Beginners are invited, as well as those with some experience; take comfortable, smooth-soled shoes.
● Everyone is welcome to a contemplative Eucharist in the Episcopal/Anglican tradition, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at St. John's Chapel. The group is usually small enough that they use the lectio divina method of reading the Bible together. They meet on the last Sunday of the month for a simple supper in someone's home. Event sponsored by the HWS Religious Life office.
● A cardio-dance class will meet from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the Sport and Rec Center. For details, call ext. 3901.
● The indoor cycling class will meet from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Sport and Rec Center. Bicycles may be reserved by calling ext. 3901 after noon on Friday. For details, call ext. 3901.
● The power yoga level 1 exercise class will meet from 7:30 to 8:45 p.m. at the Sport and Rec Center. For details, call ext. 3901.