Pre-Valentine's Day activities, sports, movie, the Bartlett Theatre's first play of the semester are among the many activities scheduled this weekend.
Friday, Feb. 8
• Hugs Across America Fundraiser: The HWS Chapter of Hugs Across America will sell plush bears for those thinking of a loved one, having a secret crush or knowing a friend who needs a hug during mealtimes in the Scandling Center.
• Carol Hay, a candidate position for the philosophy department's position in feminist philosophy and epistemology, will speak on “Rationality and Oppression,” starting at 4 p.m. in the Fisher Center, 212 Demarest.
• The Biology Department faculty will give short talks on their research, starting at 4 p.m. in Napier 101.
• William Smith Basketball: vs. Vassar at 6 p.m.
• Shabbat will be celebrated starting at 6:30 p.m. at the Abbe Center for Jewish Life.
• The Bartlett Theatre production of “What I Did Last Summer,” by A.R. Gurney, will be staged beginning at 7 p.m. in Coxe Hall. Professor of English Robert Gross will direct this production.
• The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra, under the baton of Jeff Tyzik, will present a concert at 8:15 p.m. at the Smith Opera House; Geneva Concerts' traditional pre-concert talk will begin at 7:15 p.m. The featured guitar soloist will be Sharon Isbin, Grammy Award-winner known for her lyricism, technique and versatility.
• Hobart Basketball vs. Vassar, 8 p.m.
• French House will show the film “Artemisia,” the story of the early years of painter Artemisia Gentileschi (1593-1653) and the obsticles she encounters as a woman, starting about 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 9
• William Smith Squash vs. Mount Holyoke, 9 a.m.
• Arts Scholars Day, for members of the Classes of 2012 in the Arts Scholars Program (studio art, music, dance and creative writing) with various activities across campus.
• William Smith Squash vs. Cornell, 1 p.m.
• William Smith Basketball vs. Rensselaer, 2 p.m.
• Hobart Squash vs. Cornell, 3 p.m.
• Hobart Basketball vs. Rensselaer, 4 p.m.
• Last night for the Bartlett Theatre production of “What I Did Last Summer,” by A.R. Gurney and directed by Professor of English Robert Gross, beginning at 7 p.m. in Coxe Hall.
Sunday, Feb. 10
• Quaker Meeting for worship, beginning at 9:30 a.m. in Demarest 212.
• Green Art Day, featuring recycled paper-making, crocheting (to promote wearing layers in winter), Byrne Dairy Ice Cream and perhaps a visit from members of Close Knit, from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Common Room of Sill House.
• Roman Catholic Mass will be celebrated at 4 p.m. at St. John's Chapel.
• Simple Eucharist: A simple Eucharist in the Episcopal tradition will begin at 5:30 p.m. at St. John's Chapel.
• Relay for Life kickoff: Organizers of the first HWS Relay for Life will hold a kickoff meeting from 7 to 9 p.m. at Kappa Alpha Lodge, 600 S. Main St. The all-night fund-raiser will begin on Friday, April 4 in Bristol Gym.
• The HWS Debate Team will meet at 1 p.m. in Stern 201.