GENEVA — Balmanno Cottage on South Main Street will close for the season on Aug. 28.
The cottage, owned and operated by the Geneva Historical Society, is open from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Sundays for the rest of the month.
Robert Balmanno, a literary editor and antiquarian from Brooklyn, built the house in the 1830s as a summer residence. One of the earliest examples of Gothic architecture in Geneva, it includes the ornamental verge boards, arched windows and vertical elements typical of the Gothic style.
Balmanno sold the house in 1851 and it was owned by several families until it was purchased in 1957 by William and Blanchard Bartlett Walker, who furnished it with his collection of antiques.
Upon her death in 1997, Mrs. Walker — whose father was the Rev. Murray Bartlett, president of the colleges from 1919 to 1936 — bequeathed the house and its contents to the Geneva Historical Society, which has preserved it much as it was when she died.
The house features a terraced garden with a spectacular view of Seneca Lake.
A donation of $2 per adult is requested to benefit the maintenance and preservation of the property. For details, call the museum office at (315) 789-5151.