Defining and creating your brand
Creating and defining your brand is an essential part of the career development process. All of your application materials, your social media, and how your present yourself in interviews and networking should be consistent and allow you to put your best foot forward.
Your resume and cover letter are incredibly important when applying to internships, research opportunities and jobs, as well as networking with alums. Your resume should emphasize and quantify your accomplishments. It is very important that it is free of typos, concise, well organized, and easy to read.
The Career Services Office has several options available to help you with your resume and cover letter:
- Resume Writing Workshop
- The Resume Writing Workshop is for students who are in the beginning stages of resume development. This workshop breaks down the resume section by section and goes over what to include, what not to include, and how to properly format your resume.
- Register for these events on Handshake
- Cover Letter Writing Workshop
- The Cover Letter Writing Workshop goes over the fundamentals of constructing a cover letter.
- Register for this event on Handshake
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Assistant
- Career assistants are well trained student para-professionals who are available to assist students by appointment with resume preparation. To schedule an appointment, you can email email@example.com, call (315) 781-3514, or stop by the office!
- Schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor
- To schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor email firstname.lastname@example.org, call (315) 781-3514, or stop by the office!
- Attend a resume/cover letter clinic
- The Career Counselors in the Salisbury Center hold weekly resume/cover letter clinics. These are for students who need to make quick updates to their materials, or need them looked over quickly before they submit them to opportunities. These are 20 minute appointments, and are not recommended for students who are still in the beginning stage of developing their resume and cover letter.
To schedule a resume/cover letter appointment email email@example.com, call (315) 781-3514, or stop by the office!
Please visit the networking webpage for further information to help you with networking!
Visit the interviewing webpage for further information to help you with interviewing!
Organizations are turning more and more to social media to research potential candidates. Make sure that your social media accounts reflect what you want an employer to know about you. It is also important to Google yourself, see what comes up and see what others are going to see.