Herons Advance to NCAA Third Round – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Herons Advance to NCAA Third Round

The second-ranked William Smith College soccer team scored a goal in each half to defeat the University of Mary Washington 2-0 on Cozzens Field this afternoon. With their 14th consecutive win, William Smith is now 18-1-1 on the season.

William Smith advances to the third round where it will face No. 18 Stevens Institute of Technology on Saturday, Nov. 23. The site and time of the match is still to be determined. The Ducks beat No. 9 Middlebury 2-1 in a second round game this afternoon in Middlebury, Vt.

Junior Sheila McQuillen had the game’s first scoring opportunity in the third minute. She blasted a shot from just outside the 18-yard box that was smothered by Allison Nork. Senior Eileen Rath opened the scoring in the 17th minute with her third goal of the season. William Smith drew a foul just outside the 18-yard box. Senior Emile Sauvayre fired the free kick on cage. Nork punched the shot up into the air, and Rath, who was crashing the right goal post, volleyed the loose ball into the back of the net. William Smith continued to apply pressure in the offensive half of the field but could not chip another shot past Nork. In the 34th minute, junior Amanda Adams had a scoring opportunity inside the 6-yard box that was blocked by an Eagle defender.

Mary Washington’s best scoring chance of the first half came off the right foot of Abby Zimmerman. Her shot from seven yards out was stopped by Amanda Kesler.

McQuillen gave William Smith a two goal lead in the 51st minute. Junior Mariah Deschino forced a turnover near midfield and sent a leading pass to junior Julia Keogh that allowed the Toronto, Ontario, native to break in on goal. Keogh had one touch too many to avoid a hard charging Nork. The loose ball popped to McQuillen, who chipped the ball into the vacated cage from 23-yards out for her team-leading sixth goal of the season.

Mary Washington countered with a chance of its own. Brielle Mitchell lofted a shot from 25-yards out that was corralled by Kesler. Mitchell had another chance in the 63rd minute, but Kesler was there once again to preserve the shutout.

In the 79th minute, junior Maialen Martinez nearly gave William Smith a 3-0 lead, but her shot just missed the left goal post.

The Herons finished the game with a 25-4 edge in shots and an 11-2 edge in corner kicks.

Kesler stopped all three shots she faced, earning her 13th shutout of the season. It was William Smith’s ninth straight and 16th overall shutout of the season, tying for fourth on William Smith’s single-season list. Nork made 11 saves in in 78 minutes of action. Aly Holden did not face a shot in 12 minutes of work.

The University of Mary Washington finishes their season with a 12-11-0 overall record.