The William Smith College field hockey team was named a 2018 Zag Field Hockey/National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) National Academic Team. In addition, seven student-athletes were named to the 2018 Zag Field Hockey/NFHCA Division III National Academic Squad.
First-year Emma Schafer was named a 2018 Zag Field Hockey/NFHCA Division III Scholar of Distinction. To be named a scholar of distinction, the student-athlete must obtain a GPA of 3.90 or higher through the first semester of the 2018-19 academic year.
The National Academic Team Award recognizes institutions that had a team grade point average of 3.0 or higher during the 2018 fall semester.
The National Academic squad celebrates student-athletes who have a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher through the first semester of the 2018-19 academic year. The following William Smith student-athletes earned this honor this year:
- Hannah Farrar, sophomore defender, political science and women’s studies double major
- Elizabeth Jacobia, first-year midfielder/defender, chemistry major
- Lea Mateo Medina, first-year defender, pre-engineering major
- Kelsey Pierce, junior defender, biochemistry major
- Colby Poerio, sophomore midfielder/defender, biology and environmental studies double major
- Katie Ruggles, first-year defender, undeclared
- Emma Schafer, first-year midfielder/defender, undeclared
Pierce was named to the team for the third straight season. Farrar and Poerio were both named to the team for a second time.
William Smith finished the 2018 season with a 5-11 overall record. The Herons finished Liberty League play with a 2-5 record.