Hobart Dominates Binghamton 16-9 – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Hobart Dominates Binghamton 16-9

The Hobart College lacrosse team scored six goals in the fourth quarter to post a 16-9 victory over Binghamton on March 7 on Boswell Field at David J Urick Stadium. The Statesmen improved to 4-1 overall this season, and the Bearcats fell to 1-5.

Seven Statesmen factored into today’s scoring. Junior Ryan Archer matched his career-high of seven points on three goals and four assists. Archer now has 48 career assists, and is tied with Jeff Colburn ’09 for ninth on Hobart’s Division I era list. Senior Justin Scott tallied six points (4g, 2a), and is now 10th on Hobart’s Division I era career list, passing Chris Pederson ’12 and Frank Brown ’17. Scott is also fifth on Hobart’s Division I era career list for goals with 96, and senior Eric Holden is fourth (97) after notching three goals today. Junior Wylie Sherman recorded three points on one goal and two assists.

Hobart won 19-of-28 faceoffs. Junior Drew Blanchard won 12 of the 16 faceoffs he took, and scooped up a team-high five ground balls. First-year Adam Shea won 7-of-12 faceoffs, and picked up four ground balls. Senior Sam Lucchesi made 15 saves to earn the win in goal, and scooped up one ground ball. Lucchesi is now third on Hobart’s Division I era list with 17 wins.

Thomas Greenblatt recorded a team-high four points for Binghamton on three goals and one assist. Teddy Dolan made 16 saves in goal.

The Bearcats fired off two goals three minutes into the first half. First-year John Herlihy opened the scoring for Hobart when he found the back of the net off a pass from Archer. The game was tied 5-5 with six minutes left in the first half. Archer and Holden scored back-back goals to give Hobart a 7-5 lead. First-year Bobby Baltzer and Archer were credited with assists.  Scott added another goal at 1:09. Binghamton chipped away at the Statesmen’s 8-5 lead when Kevin Winkoff fired a shot past Lucchesi with three seconds left in the half to make it 8-6.

Hobart scored six goals in the fourth quarter and held the Bearcats to one. Thirty seconds into the fourth quarter, the Statesmen scored three goals in one minute. Holden started off the scoring off a pass from Scott for his 20th goal of the season. 16 seconds later, Archer found the back of the net, and Sherman was credited with the assist. Sherman increased Hobart’s lead to 13-8 when he finished a pass from Scott. Hobart scored three goals in the last eight minutes of the half to win the game 16-9.

Hobart had a 34-31 edge on ground balls and outshot the Bearcats 45-34.

Hobart will be back in action Saturday, March 14, when they travel to Moon Township Pa. for its Northeast Conference Opener against Robert Morris. The opening faceoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.