Hobart Downs Trinity – Hobart and William Smith Colleges \
The HWS Update

Hobart Downs Trinity

The eighth-ranked Hobart College hockey team scored three times in the second period and added an empty net goal as they defeated second-ranked Trinity 4-2 in a non-conference contest at The Cooler this evening. The Statesmen conclude the 2019 portion of their schedule with a 7-3-1 overall record.

Nine different players recorded a point in the victory for Hobart. Juniors Ryan Lynch and Travis Schneider and sophomores PA Martineau and Dan Sliney scored the Statesmen goals. Sophomore Joe Halstrom started in goal and made 25 saves as he notched his seventh win of the season.

Michael Grande and Jack McCarthy scored for the Bantams (7-1-0). Teddy Loughborough made 27 saves in just under 59 minutes of work for Trinity.

Neither team found the back of the net in the first period. Hobart emerged from the opening 20 minutes with a 13-8 edge in shots on goal. Sophomore Aaron Maguyon had the first opportunity of the game for Hobart, but his shot from the left faceoff circle was stopped by Loughborough.

The Bantams opened the scoring at the 4:33 mark of the second period. Utilizing a strong forecheck, McCarthy forced a turnover in the slot. He carried the puck along the goal line and wristed a shot from a tight angle past Halstrom. The goal was McCarthy’s first of the season.

Just over a minute later, Hobart tied the game on Lynch’s third goal of the season. Sophomore Blake Coffey and senior Mitchell Spring were credited with assists on the goal. Coffey fired a shot from the point that was stopped by Loughborough, but the rebound trickled through is legs. Lynch, who was crashing the net from the right faceoff circle, poked the loose puck across the goal line. The Statesmen jumped in front at the 10:58 mark of the period. Junior Andrew Longo hit Sliney in the neutral zone with a breakout pass. Sliney carried the puck into the right circle faked out Loughborough and slipped a shot into the back of net. It was Sliney’s third goal of the season.

Trinity tied the game at the 14:23 mark. Grande blasted a shot from the point through traffic into the goal for his third tally of the season. Lucas Michaud and Liam Feeney were credited with assists on the power-play goal.

Hobart took a 3-2 lead into the third period thanks to Schneider’s fourth goal of the season. Sophomore Aaron Maguyon was credited with an assist on the goal. Maguyon forced a turnover in the neutral zone, cut to the slot and found Schneider on the right goal post. Schneider one-timed a shot into the back of the net.

The Bantams had a chance to tie the game late in the third period. With Trinity on a power play, Halstrom lost his stick. The Statesmen defense came up with a pair of blocked shots and Halstrom stopped a Dylan Healey shot to keep it a one goal game.

Trinity pulled Loughborough in favor of the extra skater with 1:15 remaining in regulation. The gamble did not pay off. Senior Zach Sternbach forced a turnover at his own blue line and hit Martineau with a tape-to-tape pass. Martineau broke into the attacking zone, avoided a back check and fired the puck into the empty net. The goal was Matineau’s first of the season.

Hobart finished the game with a 31-27 edge in shots on goal. Trinity, which entered the game with the nation’s top-ranked penalty kill, held the Statesmen scoreless on their six power play attempts. The Bantams were 1-for-5 with the extra attacker.

Hobart will be back in action in 2020 when it heads to Boston for the 2020 Boston Landing Tournament. The Statesmen will take on Saint John’s University on Jan. 4. Faceoff is scheduled for 3 p.m.