As the nation observes Veterans Day, the Colleges honor those from the Hobart and William Smith community who have dedicated their lives to serving their country as members of the U.S. Armed Forces. In recognition of their commitment and sacrifices, the Colleges have been gathering and sharing the stories of veterans, active-duty service members and those whose careers and volunteer work intersect with the U.S. military.
The most recent issue of the Pulteney Street Survey offers a cross-section of HWS military service through the years, while below are links to more stories of HWS community members who have, are currently or have committed to supporting troops.
- World War II Veterans of the Colleges, compiled on the 70th anniversary of WWII
- Vietnam Veterans of the Colleges
- Gifford Doxsee ’46, on the Bombing of Dresden; and on his relationship to Kurt Vonnegut Litt.D. ’74 and Slaughterhouse Five
- Reflecting on the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor: Warren Shaddock ’46, P’75, GP’09 and Grady Jensen ’44, P’84, L.H.D. ’04
- Kenneth E. Barden ’47, on the V-12 Unit
- Ret. Lt. Col. George Frasca ’56, controller, target pilot, fighter pilot and trainer
- William F. Scandling ’49, LL.D. ’67, G.I. Bill recipient and co-founder of the Saga Corporation
- Dr. Sheldon Feinberg ’50, inspired by American heroes on campus
- Dr. Edward Hirsh ’56, recipient of three Purple Hearts
- Dr. Steven J. Phillips ’62, physician in the U.S. Army
- Dr. Lowell J. Levine ’59, captain in the U.S. Naval Reserve
- John E. Norvell ’66, P’99, P’02, retired Air Force lieutenant colonel, decorated air combat veteran, and former assistant professor of history at the Air Force Academy
- David A. Tufts ’67,, from Vietnam to Park Avenue
- Board Chair Thomas S. Bozzuto ’68, L.H.D. ’18, Vietnam Veteran
- U.S. Congressman Rodney Frelinghuysen ’69, L.H.D.’01, Vice chair of the House Appropriations Committee and former vice chair of the Subcommittee on Defense
- HWS Trustee Gail H. McGinn ’73, former administrator with the U.S. Department of Defense
- Col. Dr. Katherine T. Platoni ’74, expert in PTSD
- David Lee Foster ’75, Vietnam Veteran
- Steven G. Kaminsky ’76, honored by U.S. Military
- Riley McCarthy ’15, William Schweitzer VI ’11 and Ben Vannah ’15, serving in U.S. Military
- Trent Perrine ’15, Marine
- Owen Smith ’18, Marine
Read more about Pietro del Fabro ’67 and his American Civil War Memorial in the Village of Waterloo; the late and Professor of Chemistry David Craig and Professor of Sociology Wesley Perkins, who collaborated with the United States Air Force to apply their social norms and intervention model that effectively dispels harmful misperceptions.
Please send names and information of other HWS alums who have served to email@example.com.