Orientation 2022 will take place for all new students from Thursday, Aug. 18 through Sunday, Aug. 21. Parents and families will join us on Thursday to help move in their students to campus. Parents and families will depart campus around 6 p.m. on this day. Below you will find an overview for Thursday, Aug. 18.
Overview for August 18
Arrive on Campus
Report to The Quad (Rain Site: Bristol Field House)
To facilitate smooth check-in and shorter lines under the Matriculation Tent, Hobart and William Smith strongly recommend that all families arrive during the following staggered check-in hours:
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.: Third and Fourth Floor Residents
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.: Second Floor Residents
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: Pond-View, Garden-Level and First Floor Residents
Check In and Matriculation
The Quad (Rain Site: Bristol Field House)
Check in with our friendly student staffers. Shake hands with President Joyce P. Jacobsen on the Coxe Hall steps, the same steps you’ll walk across when you graduate. Pick up your Orientation materials and residence hall room key under the big tent on the Quad.
Assigned Residence Halls
Meet your roommate and check out your new home. Look for Orientation staff to help you move in and IT Services staff to help you connect to the HWS network.
Complimentary On-Campus Lunch
Scandling Campus Center
From 11:30 a.m. through 2 p.m., enjoy a “grab and go” boxed lunch at the Scandling Campus Center Café or a sit-down lunch in Saga Dining Hall with your family. A vegetarian option will be available at both locations. If time permits, families are welcome to travel off-campus to enjoy lunch at one of Geneva’s restaurants.
Afternoon Parent and Family Sessions include:
1:30 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. Choose the session that pertains to your student (optional)
- Parenting William Smith First-Year Students, Albright Auditorium: William Smith College First Year Dean, Lisa Salter, will introduce herself and how deans work with students as they arrive and grow through their experiences at the Colleges over four years.
- Parenting Hobart First-Year Students, Vandervort Room, 2nd Floor Scandling: Hobart College First Year Dean, David Mapstone, will introduce himself and how deans work with students as they arrive and grow through their experiences at the Colleges over four years.
- Parenting Transfer Students Common Room, Scandling: Maybe you feel like you’ve been through all of this before, but the transfer student experience is unique. HWS Deans, Kelly Payne and Joe Mink, will discuss how families can help transfer students find their place on a new campus.
2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Parents and Families: Resource Fair, The Quad
Interact with offices and staff members from across campus to learn about campus resources to help make your student’s transition successful!
3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Parents and Families: Refreshment Break, Gearan Center for the Performing Arts
Recharge with light refreshments while meeting fellow parents and families.
3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Parents and Families: Understanding the Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Policy, Common Room, Scandling
Please join the Office of Title IX Programs and Compliance for a session about the Title IX and Sexual Misconduct Policy, including information about prevention and education. Participants will learn more about rights and responsibilities, resources, and how best to support students’ understanding of affirmative consent and healthy relationships.
- 4:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. Parents and Families: Welcome from FSEM Faculty
Meet with your student’s First-Year seminar professor who will provide an overview of the FSEM program.
5 p.m. President’s Welcome Ceremony, Stern Lawn
Your official welcome to campus from President Jacobsen.
5:30 p.m. Family and Friends Farewell, Stern Lawn
Take advantage of this opportunity to say goodbye to family and friends as they depart campus.
For more information, contact the Orientation Office at (315) 781-3041 or at email@example.com.