“Nearly 50 percent of the students at Hobart and William Smith Colleges participate in intramural sports and many of these students join more than one team,” says Russ Hess, director of the HWS Recreation, Intramurals, and Fitness programs. “This year we’re hoping even more students consider joining a team.”
This semester’s registration deadlines vary by sport and are as follows:
- Jan. 26 – Basketball (co-recreational), floor hockey (co-recreational)
- Feb. 16 – Squash tournament (co-recreational), table tennis (co-recreational, singles/doubles), Rec Day and Spike Ball Tournament (co-recreational)
- March 2 – Volleyball (co-recreational)
- March 30 – Badminton tournament (co-recreational, doubles), softball (co-recreational)
- April 27 – Dodgeball tournament (co-recreational)
In 2017, HWS was named by Money magazine and Sports Illustrated among the nation’s best colleges and universities that offer great athletics matched by an outstanding education. The “100 Best Colleges for Sports Lovers” ranking features “great colleges for students who love sports—but who also want a high-quality, affordable education that positions them for career success.” The number of available intramural sports offerings on campus was a factor for the methodology of the ranking.