Ten members of the 2017-18 Hobart and William Smith Colleges sailing team were recently named to end of the year all-academic teams. Nine sailors were named to the Middle Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association while all-academic sailing team while eight earned Inter-Collegiate Sailing Association academic honors.
To earn a spot on the MAISA All-Academic Team, sailors must have a GPA of 3.5 or above and must have competed or been a reserve in at least eight college sailing regattas over the course of the season. A total of 95 athletes from 17 schools were named to the team.
To be eligible for the ICSA All-Academic Team, honorees must be a junior or a senior, have at least a 3.3 cumulative GPA, and be a starter or key reserve in at least seven university sponsored regattas. A seven-person committee comprised of representatives from conferences in the ICSA evaluates the nominated sailors. This year’s all-academic team is comprised of 238 members.
The following HWS student-athletes were honored for their academic and athletic accomplishments:
- Noah Barrengos, senior, philosophy major*^
- Bailey Carter, junior, art history major*^
- Kate Cox, sophomore, English and philosophy major*
- Anna Flaherty, sophomore, English major*
- Kate Homet, senior, environmental studies major*^
- Lindsey Kloc, junior, political science major*^
- Elizabeth McCabe, senior, architectural studies major^
- Russell Merchant, junior, mathematics major*^
- Haley Okun, senior, geoscience major*^
- Sarah Warren, senior, geoscience major*^
*MAISA All-Academic; ^ICSA All-Academic
Barrengos and Warren were named ICSA All-Academic squad last year as well.
The Colleges competed in all three ICSA Championships this spring. HWS finished third at the LaserPerformance Team Race National Championship and fourth at the College Sailing/Gill Coed National Championship. William Smith also finished third at the ICSA Women’s Championship.