So are we.

professors  career

Though your college journey has already started, you can change course and transfer to HWS. We are ready to help you discover and chart your goals so that you get an excellent education that leads to a fulfilling career or graduate school.

If you’ve already mapped your academic path, great. We’ll help you achieve your objectives.

If you’d like to continue exploring, we’ll provide the space to do so and the guidance to graduate on time.

Our faculty will meet you where you are - inviting you to join in the sharing of ideas, the solving of problems, the invention of a better world.

meet us

by the lake

Transferring to HWS is easy.

Our transfer admissions counselor is dedicated to helping you explore your options and navigate the application process. Whether you are coming to HWS from a two- or four-year institution, or hoping to enter in the spring or fall semester, we welcome the opportunity to work with you.


Our transfer admissions counselor is ready to help you learn more about HWS and the transfer process.


Melanie N. Sage ’95, P’25, P’27
Senior Associate Director of Admissions, Director of Transfer Admissions
Phone: (315) 781-4499

  • HWS accepts a maximum of two years of college-level work (up to 16 three-credit-hour courses) from other undergraduate institutions. Only courses in which you have earned a C or better, or its equivalent, are considered for transfer credit. Transfer credits are used to determine placement in the curriculum and to exempt you from curriculum requirements.
  • If you have completed an associate’s degree, you may enter with junior standing. However, depending on your intended major and previous program of study, it may take longer than two years to complete your bachelor’s degree. We will work with you to figure this out and to plan your academic and professional strategy.
  • Transfer students must spend a minimum of two years in residence at Hobart and William Smith.

Application Checklist

  • Common Application
  • Final high school transcript
  • Official college transcript/transcripts from any college ever attended
  • Academic Evaluation/Recommendation Letter from someone who has taught you in the past 2 years (HS Teacher, College Professor)
  • College Report form from current college/university
  • If interested in need-based Financial Aid, please submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)


  • July 1
    Applications due for Fall Semester admittance

  • November 1
    Applications due for Spring Semester admittance

Helpful Links