The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, in coordination with the Division of Campus Life, coordinates the Bias Incident Response Team (BIRT), which may be convened to ensure that affected student(s) have access to appropriate resources, to assist offices in their response, and to facilitate a coordinated campus response to bias-related incidents and situations that may impact campus climate.
Coordinated responses may include, but are not limited to, identification of and referral to appropriate support services and resources (on- or off-campus), informal resolution measures such as mediation, facilitated dialogue between parties, facilitated discussions in residence halls or other campus locations, recommendations for campus notices for fact sharing, and efforts towards wider educational awareness, prevention, and outreach. In the case of a potential violation of the Colleges' Community Standards, the Bias Incident Response Team is not directly involved in any adjudication and/or conduct process.
The BIRT summary report for the 2022-2023 academic year can be found here.
"As a residential campus community, HWS places a strong emphasis on living in community. Both in and out of the classroom, we value students, staff, and faculty having a safe space to live, work and thrive while moving towards the goal of leading a life of consequence. It is the responsibility of all community members to ensure they are positively contributing to our HWS, Geneva, and global communities. Sometimes, individuals’ actions come into conflict with our values and policies. The mission of the BIRT Team is to respond to those actions and assist in repairing any harm that occurs between community members so that the HWS community can return to one of growth, education and support."
- Becca B. Barile, Vice President for Campus Life and Dean of Students
- Shelle Basilio-Murray, Associate Dean of Students
- Joshua Bishop, Director of Community Values/Conflict Resolution
- Nita Byrd, Chaplain
- Marty Corbett, Associate Vice President for Campus Safety
- Renée Grant, Director, Academic Opportunity Programs & Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Ann Landowne, Director, Abbe Center
- Jamie MaKinster, Associate Provost
- Sherri Martin-Baron, International Student Success Manager
- Tasha Prosper, Associate Director of the Counseling Center
- Lisa Salter, Assistant Dean of William Smith College
- Kristen Tapscott, Associate Dean of Student Engagement
- Bill Woodson, Vice President, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion