WHAT'S A COMMUNITY ASSISTANT?
Community Assistants (CAs) are student leaders and paid employees of the Office of Student Engagement at Hobart and William Smith Colleges. A CA is assigned to each residential area and is responsible for creating a sense of community for the students who reside there.
In developing such a community, they often address issues of personal counseling, advising, policy enforcement, and programming (both within the residence halls and across campus). When students have questions or concerns about their living situations or about the Colleges in general, CAs are a great first stop for advice and tips.
In addition to acting as a role model both on and off-campus, CAs ensure that student behavior in residences is in accordance with the Colleges' policies as outlined in the Handbook of Community Standards.
2023-2024 CA APPLICATION TIMELINE
- January 1: Applications are available via Engage
- January 24-26: Information Sessions - Learn about the CA role and the selection process via Zoom
- February 8: Application closes
- February 13-16: New CA Individual Interviews (Scheduled once applicant has submitted application and passed first round)
- By end of month: CA Candidate Decision Letters sent out
BECOMING A COMMUNITY ASSISTANT
Community Assistants are selected from a competitive pool of applicants and undergo rigorous training as a team at the beginning of each semester. You are always well equipped to complete the work!
The Community Assistant application process occurs during every spring semester.
Need help writing a resume? Visit the Office of Career Services website.